Thursday, December 16, 2010

Chivalry is not dead


Yesterday I had the awesome chance to go on a hot date with my brother--FHE brother that is. I haven't been on a real date in a long time. Like a REALLY long time, just about four or five months, and that's a pretty long time in BYU standards.
I have been on dates this semester, but, they had been where I sat at home for thirty minutes wondering if my date stood me up. One time, I waited two hours until my date finally came over, claiming that he had fallen asleep in the library.

This date was different. It was all by the book: phone call, awkward conversation leading up to the question, him asking, me saying yes. Pretty standard. He even texted me the night of asking if it was ok if he came and got me (shockingly) EARLIER. He was only TWO minutes late. Even that simple promptness really made me feel good. I felt that he wanted to ask me, I wasn't just someone that he had thought of on the side.He even smelled good--it was funny because we are siblings for goodness sake--but I felt that even if he didn't try for me, he tried for himself. He wanted to look good because he was on a date, and even if I was just a friend, he wanted to look good in my presence. Not gonna lie, he was the best-dressed and groomed out of the whole group of guys. Props to him.

He opened the door for me--shocker. He let me pick the music--gasp. He referred to me as his DATE--scandal! The little things DO count.

We went bowling--typical date thing to do. Yes, we did get lost getting the other couple's date, but, other than that, it was pretty typical. Nobody acted weird, everybody was nice. WHY CAN'T I DATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT?!??!

Why does it have to be so complicated and strange? I had fun. Fun because I felt like someone actually wanted to be with me. Now don't get me wrong, I am not going to obsessively creep on this kid, or anything, probably nothing will result from this, but, he doesn't know how much fun that I really had. It was nice to get ready for someone--even if it was my brother. :) It was fun to get to know someone new, and it made me realize the little things that I have started over-looking with some of my guy friends. And admittedly, the conversation was a little lacking (I hardly know the kid)it was fun and kept me on my toes.

It was such a start contrast to people I have been hanging out with lately. In a sense, I got to completely re-invent myself. This is what I am most excited about. There were no pre-concieved notions to who I was (well, maybe a little because he did ask me on a date)but, he doesn't know my roomies (too well), he doesn't really know me. And this was probably the most intriguing thing about the date. I got the be silly, and I had no reservations.

Here's to all the gentlemen out there: as much as a girl tries to be independent, or "strong-willed", they are waiting for that man that will break down the walls that they have placed around them, to save them from themselves. They want a man that will take the effort to understand why the way they are. They want a man that will FIGHT for them.

Saddle-up gentlemen. Who's Prince Charming will you be?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Its so great to know that there are girls out there that actually want guys to be chivalrous, that want us to open the door and care about the effort that we put in. Its nice to know that some girls still care!

    ReplyDelete