Wednesday, December 29, 2010

There's only One way to say these three words...


So I was driving along--getting food for my cat--which, is another story--and I was thinking about stuff.
I had recently had some break-throughs in my life. I think just a different mind-set has come over me.

I was thinking about love. Yeah--I obviously do not have much experience in that department, but i had some thoughts about the matter. I have recently been reading Sherlock Holmes and I watched a couple of movies--they don't specifically deal with love, but resonated with me. Our society is so obsessed with love. I mean, it is one of the most important things that we could wish for as a human being. If you don't feel loved by anyone--you are lost, humans can't function without love. But when it comes to relationships, to love, where you can't think about anything other than that person, where you are floating on air, (something that I have only heard about in movies) it got me thinking.

How much of our perceptions of love, of what is true love, if you will, is based on what we see in the media? How much of "finding the one" is based on what we see in t.v., on movies, in songs? How is that skewing our society? How difficult is it making it for young people to form their own perceptions of love? But even cultural differences in conceptualizing love makes it doubly difficult to establish any universal definition.
(Check out this link--one of the many ways my perception of love has been shaped, it is my absolute favorite love song--ever)

But what kind of love am I talking about? It's not the kind that you feel for your mom or dad, it's the kind of love that I know that I have yet to experience, the type of love for another person. I don't even have a full definition for myself.

I know in my personal experiences, society is making it butt-hard to be able to be in "love". There is such a perception about what love should be, what is acceptable for it to be.

I went on a small internet search on what love is:

a strong positive emotion of regard and affection;
"his love for his work"; "children need a lot of love"
any object of warm affection or devotion; "the theater was her first love"; "he has a passion for cock fighting";
have a great affection or liking for; "I love French food"; "She loves her boss and works hard for him"
beloved: a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
get pleasure from; "I love cooking"
a deep feeling of sexual desire and attraction; "their love left them indifferent to their surroundings"; "she was his first love"
be enamored or in love with; "She loves her husband deeply".

To me, these definitions are rather lacking. But was that because I have been brain-washed to what love is? Have I been affected by scenes of The Wedding Planner, or by the melodies of the Plain White T's, or experiences of others?

These thoughts have been somewhat crazy and jumbled; but what more do you expect from someone that has been deprived of much social interaction lately?

I think that love is something that will be uniquely yours. Something that will be as unique as you are. There will be aspects of your love that no one will understand, save the person that your love is directed towards.

Love is a four letter word created by a three letter word, you, and shared with two.

No comments:

Post a Comment