Monday, December 20, 2010

Wasting away my Christmas break...really?


To sleep or not to sleep, that is the question.

As I finished finals last week, I looked forward to a Christmas break where I would catch up on all the sleep that I have been robbing myself of and generally becoming a sedentary couch potato. I had no goals, I just wanted to SLEEP. Seems like a good idea, right?

WRONG.

After spending the night with some of my best friends, where hot chocolate, Land Before Time, and Community was involved, I realized that life isn't for sleeping. Life is to make yourself better.

Luckily I have made besties with one of my roomies. She began talking about all of the plans that she had over the break, she was going to write letters, read books, blog...Cecilly's list went on and on. My list was pretty pathetic compared to hers: sleep. Wow. I began to get discouraged, and I realized that instead of wasting away my Christmas break, I am going to make some much-needed improvements all aspects of my life. Two weeks, two weeks where I am going to focus on myself, where I am going to fix things, get back to the basics.

1) Personal scripture study for thirty minutes a day. This has been seriously lacking the end of this school year. This is not good because of all the life-changing ideas that I need to be making. I was in my family ward yesterday and one of the bishopric made the comment, "If your spiritual life is not in order, how can you expect for anything in your life to be?" How true that is, I am going to dedicate this time to read the scripps, and Preach My Gospel (which will be essential in helping me decide on a mission or not)

2) Study the LSAT for two hours a day. I have to kill myself because if I want this to be an option, my future, I actually have to do well on this test.

3) Workout for at least 45 minutes every day. This will probably just consist of me running (when I say run I mean a slow jog) I need to maintain myself.

4) Read at least four books (one being a John Grisham, mostly I just want to read something FUN--for me reading is fun)

5) Work on my resume. If I want to even get a job, my resume needs to be polished and up to date.

6) Complete at least one sewing project. As much as I say that I hate sewing, I really don't. It is such a cool skill that I am just ashamed that I can't pick up. I want to get good at it. I want it to become something as relaxing as calligraphy has become for me.

7) Play the piano for at least 40 minutes a day. Sad enough to say, I NEVER play the piano when I am at school. Mostly because the pianos at school are crap, but, it is a skill that I don't want to lose.

Bring it Christmas break. Instead of just sitting in front of the tv all day and packing on the holiday pounds I am going to actually be productive.

Chestnuts roasting on the open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your nose...I am going to be a busy little elf this Christmas...here's to me actually accomplishing all that I want to...(if I do, I get to party the week leading up to school, even maybe buy myself some Martinelli's, if not...then that's my loss) Let's hope in two weeks I'll be enjoying a glass full of chilled Martinelli's...

No comments:

Post a Comment